Vegan Butternut Squash Soup w/ Corn – incredibly flavorful with simple ingredients, this cozy soup will have you coming back for seconds. Silky smooth creamy soup base with no absolutely no dairy. You won’t believe how good this is!
Fall is officially here.
The temperatures dropped, we turned off the air conditioning, and out came my cute boots. And, of course, I got allllll the cravings for cozy soup!
This Vegan Butternut Squash Soup w/ Corn might be my favorite soup recipe yet.
It’s such a delicious combination of flavors. It has a hint of sweetness from the naturally sweet corn and squash which balances nicely with savory fall herbs like sage and thyme.
Healthy Vegan Soup
Butternut squash boasts vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber, B vitamins, potassium, folate, vitamin K, omega-3 fats, and much more!
If you need more ideas for getting butternut squash into your diet try these: Butternut Squash Apple Soup (similar to Panera’s Autumn Squash Soup), Quinoa Salad w/ Spinach & Butternut Squash, Slow Cooker Black Bean Butternut Squash Chili, and of course my world famous Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese!
Corn sometimes gets a bad wrap as far as nutrition goes, but it absolutely can be a part of a healthy diet. Corn has B vitamins, phosphorus, potassium, fiber, and antioxidants. If you’re worried about GMO’s ask your local farmer how they grow their corn, make sure to buy fresh organic corn, or used organic frozen sweet corn (<- I have this in my freezer all year long!).
I love this article from Eating Well debunking some common myths about corn.
Versatile: Sweet & Savory
Butternut squash is such a versatile vegetable.
It can be roasted, baked, boiled, mashed, puréed. It’s wonderful in soups, stews, salads, pasta, curries, buddha bowls, and casseroles.
I even use this yellow winter squash in sweet recipes. Check out my Cinnamon Squash Bread w/ Cinnamon Squash Icing for a super yummy fall treat!
Kid Friendly & Approved
My kids never cease to amaze me.
I wasn’t sure if they would like this soup or not. They love my Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, but they don’t love to eat roasted cubed squash. I was thinking it could go either way.
Well, I’m happy to report they love it!
Not only did they love it, but two of them requested it in their lunch boxes the next day. AND when I made dinner the next night they all said they would have rather had leftovers of this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup!
How’s that for an endorsement?!
How to Make Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
This delicious creamy soup could not be easier to make.
The hardest part is peeling and chopping the squash. I’ve gotten pretty good at it through the years and it only takes me a few minutes.
Here is a good tutorial for cutting and peeling a squash. Note: I prefer to use my chef’s knife to peel instead of a vegetable peeler, but use what you’re most comfortable with. If you’re worried about it, you can buy pre-chopped butternut squash in most grocery store produce sections these days.
- Chop the veggies
- Sauté the onions
- Add the remaining veggies and herbs
- Add the broth and simmer
Quick and easy!
While the soup is simmering, I like to roast additional corn and diced squash as a garnish for the soup. Plus, I love the difference in textures with the silky soup and the chunky veggie garnish. This step is totally optional.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup w/ Corn
I hope you love this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating.
You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it!
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Corn
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or ¼ cup veggie broth)
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 1 small butternut squash (peeled and chopped) (about 4 cups)
- 16 oz bag of organic frozen corn (or 2 cups fresh corn kernels)
- 2 red potatoes (peeled and diced) (about 2 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond. Cashew, lite coconut, or oat milk would all work as well)
- In large stockpot over medium high heat, sauté diced onion in olive oil (or ¼ cup vegetable broth) until translucent, about 4-5 minutes
- Add diced squash, potatoes, corn, sage, thyme, and salt and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, stir, and increase heat to bring to a boil.
- Once mixture comes to a boil, lower heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes until squash and potatoes are tender.
- Turn off heat. Add nutmeg and non-dairy milk.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the soup until smooth. Alternately, you can carefully transfer the soup to a blender to purée. Or if you prefer a chunkier soup, you can purée just half or none at all.
- Serve and Enjoy!
*Original recipe posted September 2014. Recipe, photos and content updated September 2018.
More Cozy Vegan Soup Recipes to Love: