Fall Roasted Vegetable Pasta – The flavors of a fall harvest in a cozy pasta dish. Roasted butternut squash and red onion, seasoned tempeh crumbles, and sautéed kale tossed with chewy orecchiette pasta and an easy balsamic broth that brings it all together. Easy enough for a weeknight, fancy enough for entertaining.
This dish is total comfort food! A big plate of al dente orecchiette pasta with sweet roasted butternut squash and red onion, savory seasoned tempeh crumbles, and earthy kale all tossed in a simple balsamic flavored broth and topped with crunchy buttery pecans.
It sounds complicated and fancy, but it’s really easy and it all comes together in less than an hour. Perfect for a weeknight, Sunday supper, or holiday entertaining.
What is Orecchiette?
Orecchiette is a kind of pasta. The name means “little ears” in Italian. They have a round shape that curves in toward the centers. They look like tiny little bowls…perfect for holding all the other bite size goodies in this veggie pasta dish.
What is a Good Substitute for Orecchiette?
If you don’t have or can’t find orecchiette, other pasta shapes can be substituted. I like to stick with medium shapes, like penne, fusilli, farfalle, or conchiglie that hold sauce well and are similar in size to the other ingredients in the recipe.
What Vegetables are Harvested in the Fall?
Summer tends to get most of the love when it comes to produce. Farmers markets are plentiful, as are backyard gardens. But some of my favorite vegetables are harvested in the fall.
Fall veggies are hearty and comforting. A few faves are Brussels sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and winter squash.
I’ve used butternut squash and kale in this fall vegetable pasta recipe, but you could swap in sweet potatoes and collard greens instead. Or toss in some mushrooms when sautéing the tempeh.
More delicious vegan fall recipes to love:
- Butternut Squash Soup with Corn
- Broccoli and Shredded Brussel Sprout Salad
- Spaghetti with Spinach and Cranberries
- Pumpkin and Kale Vegan Stuffed Shells
- Kale Apple Salad with Warm Pumpkin Vinaigrette
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowl
- Sweet Potato Cauliflower Vegan Soup
- Creamy Vegan Mushroom Pasta Recipe
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is made from fermented soybeans and usually comes packed tightly into a square or rectangular patty. The soybeans are often combined with grains, so if you need a gluten free tempeh, be sure to read the label!
It’s very high in protein and also boasts good amounts of calcium, iron, and B vitamins.
It can be sliced, diced, crumbled, or grated. Having an earthy, savory flavor, it’s a great stand in for meat, like in this vegetable pasta recipe where it resembles sausage or bacon.
More Vegan Tempeh Recipes to Try:
- Instant Pot Vegan Split Pea Soup with Tempeh Crumbles
- Smoky Vegan Broccoli Soup with Crispy Tempeh Croutons
Fall Roasted Vegetable Pasta
I hope you love this Fall Vegetable Pasta as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment along with a star rating.
You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it.
Fall Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (bite size)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- ½ teaspoon salt (plus more for salting pasta water)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (divided)
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta (or similar medium size pasta shape) (gluten free, if desired)
- 8 ounces tempeh (diced) (gluten free, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3-4 kale leaves (stems removed) (chopped small)
- ¾ cup low sodium vegetable broth (plus more if needed)
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans (toasted, if deisred)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Toss the cubed butternut squash and sliced red onion with 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Spread out into one even layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake 30-35 minutes, stirring half way through, until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to al dente according to pasta directions, making sure to salt the pasta cooking water well.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and the tamari in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the Italian seasoning, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and diced tempeh. Sauté 7-8 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes, until brown and crispy on the edges. Add the garlic and kale and sauté 1-2 to minutes to soften.
- When the pasta and squash/onions are done add them to the skillet with the tempeh and kale and stir to combine. Add the vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar, and pure maple syrup. Stir well. Add another splash or two of vegetable broth the pasta seems dry. Stir in the chopped pecans
- Serve hot with an extra drizzle of balsamic and fresh cracked black pepper.