This Butternut Squash Apple Soup soup is silky smooth and perfectly spiced. Perfect for a cozy weeknight dinner or the starter for your holiday meal.
This time of year, pumpkin tends to get all the love. But, for me, butternut squash is king. It’s earthy, but sweeter than pumpkin. Lighter and more delicate in flavor, too. It can be steamed or roasted, then eaten in cubes or mashed or puréed. You can even eat the seeds, just like you would pumpkin seeds.
This orange winter squash is the creamy base for my Dairy Free Mac and Cheese (a huge reader favorite!). And, in this dish, I’ve turned it into an ultra creamy soup (because y’all know I’m obsessed with soups!). I think this Butternut Squash Apple Soup will become a staple on your table during the fall season.
This creamy soup is the epitome of fall for me. The smells, the warmth, the flavors. Everything about it makes me feel all cozy inside. When the first wafts of crisp autumn air arrive all I want to do is make a big pot of this Butternut Squash Apple Soup and curl up on the couch with a comfy blanket.
This dairy free squash soup is super easy to make. It takes less than 45 minutes from start to finish and the majority of that time is hands off. It’s also packed with nutrition, boasting high amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, fiber, B vitamins, potassium, folate, vitamin K, healthy fats, and antioxidants.
Not only did I create this soup with butternut squash and apple, but also carrots, cinnamon, curry powder, turmeric, a splash of plant milk, and just a touch of pure maple syrup. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and spice and cozy fall flavor.
However, I still love to have texture in my meals. I really love the contrast of crunchy roasted pumpkin seeds as a garnish for this Butternut Squash Apple Soup (just like they do at Panera with their Autumn Squash Soup and, yes, this soup is roughly based on that one).
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- ¾ cup chopped carrot (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 ¾ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash of pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup cashew milk (or other creamy plant milk)
- 1-2 teaspoon pure maple syrup plus more for drizzling on top, if desired
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds for garnish, if desired
- In a soup pot on the stove, add the squash, carrots, apple, broth, salt, pepper, cinnamon, curry powder, and turmeric and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to medium, cover and let simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until the squash and carrots are very tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the cashew milk and maple syrup.
- With an immersion blender, purée the soup until silky smooth.
- Serve immediately garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of pure maple syrup, if desired.