Hazelnut Overnight French Toast Bake – Ooey, gooey, sticky, and sweet, this make-ahead breakfast doesn’t get any easier. Prep it all the night before and simply stick it in the oven in the morning. It’s like eating dessert for breakfast!
I’m going to let you in on a little secret – I have a sweet tooth. A giant one. I try not to let it get the best of me, but sometimes it’s nice to indulge a little. And indulge I definitely did these past few weeks as I was perfecting this ooey, gooey, sticky, sweet Hazelnut Overnight French Toast Bake. Seriously, you have no idea how many pieces of french toast I had to consume to ensure this recipe is unequivocally delicious. It’s hard work I tell you, but I do it for you! 🙂 I don’t think I have to tell you how much the kids enjoyed this French Toast Bake, do I? It’s like eating dessert for breakfast and what kid doesn’t want to do that?! The best part is that you assemble it the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning!
I have always been a huge fan of hazelnuts. Hazelnut lattes are my favorite indulgent drink. And I’ve been wanting to create a sweet French Toast recipe for awhile. It seemed appropriate to put these things together.
I used a day old baguette for this dish so the edges would stay crispy and the middle wouldn’t be too soft. You can use an Italian or a French baguette..whatever you prefer…just make sure it’s a hard crusty one.
Just look at that sticky sweet syrup!! If that doesn’t scream love, I don’t know what does!
Well, now I’m craving another piece of this deliciousness (or two or three!) so I’ll just get right to the recipe so you can enjoy it too!
Hazelnut Overnight French Toast Bake
I hope you love this French Toast Bake as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 8-10 slices hard crusty baguette - about 1 inch thick (day old baguette works best)
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk (I used soy)
- 1/2 cup non dairy hazelnut creamer (I used So Delicious) (or more non dairy milk)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp hazelnut extract
- In a medium bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together 1/2 cup non dairy milk, 1/2 cup non dairy hazelnut creamer (or more non dairy milk), 1 tsp hazelnut extract and the arrowroot powder and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, whisk together the maple syrup, coconut sugar, salt and 2 tsp hazelnut creamer (or non dairy milk) until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is smooth. This should only take a few minutes.
- Pour the maple syrup mixture into the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish.
- Lay each baguette slice into the syrup and then immediately turn it over so the syrup covers both sides. Repeat with the remaining slices (you can overlap a little if you need to, but try to get as much bread in the syrup as possible).
- Whisk the milk mixture again and pour evenly on top of the baguette slices.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown and the syrup is bubbly on the sides.
- Top it off with some chopped hazelnuts and fruit slices (peaches are lovely with this!), if desired.
More Delicious Dairy Free Breakfasts to Love: