Just want to let you know that this post is sponsored by my friends at Simply Organic. I only recommend brands and products that I use and love myself. All content and opinions are my own. #OrganicMoments
Banana Black Sesame Vegan Scones – Easy dairy free scones with a surprisingly delightful flavor combo. Just sweet enough with no refined sugar. They have the perfect balance of sweet and nutty. You’ve gotta try these amazing scones!
I am so excited about these lovely vegan scones! The flavors are unique – lightly sweet and nutty. The texture is perfect – crunchy outside and slightly crumbly, yet soft, inside. And the Sweet Tahini Glaze brings it all deliciously together! They pair beautifully with a cup of coffee or tea. Put these Banana Black Sesame Scones on your brunch menu today or simply enjoy one for an afternoon treat. I can’t wait to hear what you think of these yummy dairy free scones!
Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Dessert
The awesome thing about scones is that are acceptable for eating all day long. They make a delicious breakfast or brunch with a cup of coffee or tea. They’re also great for keeping hunger at bay during the afternoon. But, because they are lightly sweetened, they can even become a dessert treat. And they’re actually good for you! These black speckled beauties are full of healthy plant based ingredients and contain no refined sugar and no oil!
Simply Organic Spices an Seasonings
I love using Simply Organic spices and seasonings! I first introduced you to these aromatic spices when I made my Chai Spiced Pumpkin Layer Cake. You guys loved that cake so much, it won Reader’s Choice in the Simply Organic and Go Dairy Free Bake-Off!
Simply Organic spices are incredibly fragrant with bold flavors. I also love that the company’s values align with my own – being good to our bodies and good to our environment. They are committed to ensuring that their “organic spices and seasonings are grown and processed in an ethical and sustainable manner. They even give 1% of all sales to “support organic agriculture through research, education, and grower development.” How cool is that?!
Simply Organic Black Sesame Seeds
The Black Sesame Seeds are a new addition to the Simply Organic line of spices and seasonings as of May 2017. I was so excited to see these and quickly started writing down recipes in which I could use them. I had recipes for muffins and fudge, but ultimately these Banana Black Sesame Vegan Scones won out and I think you’ll be glad they did!
Sesame Seeds are high in copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, selenium, vitamin B1, and fiber. You can eat the seeds whole, grind them into a paste (tahini), or press them to extract the oil. They lend a lovely nutty flavor and, if eaten whole, a delicate crunch.
Versatile – Sweet and Savory
Sesame seeds are delicious in both sweet and savory preparations. You’ve likely had the seeds sprinkled over Asian dishes or maybe on your morning bagel or burger bun. Sesame oil is delicious in Asian inspired dressings. And I’m sure you’ve probably had tahini in hummus.
I wanted to do something a little different for you today and when the idea of bananas paired with sesame seeds popped into my head, I knew I had to try it. It’s a delicious flavor combo and these vegan scones are a must try!
Banana Black Sesame Vegan Scones
I hope you love these Banana Black Sesame Scones as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
And be sure to get your hands on some Simply Organic Spices and Seasonings and make your own #OrganicMoments!
Banana Black Sesame Vegan Scones
For the Scones:
- 2 cups spelt flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp organic coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Simply Organic Black Sesame Seeds
- ½ cup mashed banana (about 1 large banana)
- ¼ cup canned full fat coconut milk (plus additional 1-3 tbsp in needed)
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 tbsp 100% pure vanilla extract
For the Sweet Tahini Glaze (optional):
- 3 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
For the Scones:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, coconut sugar, and salt. Whisk in the black sesame seeds.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, coconut milk, tahini, and vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. The dough will be a little bit sticky, but should come together easily in a ball. If there are still bits of dry ingredients that won't incorporate, add an additional tbsp of coconut milk and mix again. You may need between 1-3 extra tbsp of coconut milk (I used 2 tbsp), but be sure to add just 1 tbsp at a time and then mix. Only add additional tbsps if necessary to fully combine the ingredients.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean floured surface. Shape it into a flat circular disc shape about an inch thick. Cut the dough in half top to bottom and again side to side so that you have four even slices. Cut each slice in half to make 8 even slices.
- Carefully transfer each slice to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until they are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before adding the optional glaze.
For the Sweet Tahini Glaze:
- In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, whisk the tahini and maple syrup until it reduces to a thick sauce. This should take about 5 minutes or so. Watch it carefully and don't turn the heat up too high as it could burn.
- Drizzle the glaze onto the cooled scones and enjoy!
More Dairy Free Brunch Eats: