A delicious, creamy, spicy snack for game day, parties, or anytime. Easy to make them as spicy (or not) as you want. These Vegan Taquitos make a great lunch or dinner too!
These spicy buffalo vegan taquitos is meant to be an appetizer or snack, but let’s be honest, I could make a meal out of these! The filling is a creamy mixture of smashed chickpeas, chopped artichokes, and my now famous Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese sauce (a reader favorite!) all mixed with Buffalo style hot sauce.
Easy to make as spicy hot (or not) as you like. Judging from the popularity of my Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Bites, I’d say you guys love buffalo sauce! Let’s get the (vegan) party started!!
What is a Taquito?
Taquitos, sometimes call rolled tacos or flautas, are small tortillas with filling that have been rolled and fried until crisp.
Traditionally, this Mexican dish uses corn tortillas, but I used flour tortillas here because I find they hold together better. You can use whatever you like best. Using corn tortillas would make these completely gluten free.
I have also chosen to bake my vegan taquitos recipe instead of fry them to cut down on the saturated fat.
While this is definitely not a traditional taquitos recipe, it is absolutely delicious!
Don’t miss these other Mexican-inspired vegan recipes:
- Meatless Mexican Sloppy Joe’s
- Smoky Cilantro Lime Mexican Bean Dip
- Mexican Spiced Chocolate Covered Cashews
- Black Bean and Zucchini Vegan Enchiladas
- Crunchy Black Bean Baked Mini Tacos
How to make the recipe
These taquitos are super easy to make, especially if you use staple ingredients like canned chickpeas and frozen artichoke hearts. You can even buy pre chopped butternut squash for the “cheese” sauce.
- Mash the chickpeas in a bowl
- Mix in the artichokes, dairy free cheese sauce, and Buffalo hot sauce
- Scoop 2 tablespoons into tortilla and roll tightly.
Hint: Make a double batch of cheese sauce and then make Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese or Easy Cheesy Chili Mac another day! Both kid and omnivore approved!
How to serve
And if you’re feeling extra cheesy, try them with my Homemade Vegan Queso.
More Easy Vegan Party Food
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Vegan Pesto Pizza Bites
- Veggie Tortilla Rollups
- Spiced Rosemary Roasted Nuts
- Easy Vegan Bruschetta with Avocado
Can Taquitos be Made Ahead and Frozen?
Yes, these can be assembled ahead do time and then frozen until ready to heat to serve. If baking from frozen, you will need to add additional cooking time. Otherwise, bring them to room temperature and bake as the recipe states.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Buffalo Chickpea Vegan Taquitos
- 2 cans (15 oz each) chickpeas rinsed and drained (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts frozen or canned (drained if using canned)
- 1 cup Butternut Mac sauce
- ¼-1/2 cup Buffalo style hot sauce
- 15-20 small tortillas corn or flour – your favorite (Use corn if gluten free)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or fork. Some larger pieces are ok, but you want the mixture to stick together.
- Add the chopped artichoke hearts, Butternut Mac sauce and buffalo style hot sauce and mix to combine.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the filling onto each tortilla and roll tightly. Place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until the tortillas are browning on the edges