This Quinoa Spinach Salad w/ Butternut Squash & Apple is a delicious and flavorful fall salad. Easy enough for a weeknight dinner, yet fancy enough for entertaining.
I say this all the time, but salads don’t have to be boring. It’s not just lettuce and tomatoes.
A salad recipe can be anything you want it to be. It can be light and easy or hearty and comforting.
I was inspired by fall produce when I created this nourishing bowl.
This Quinoa Spinach Salad with Butternut Squash & Apple is flavorful and full of vitamins, protein and fiber to keep you satisfied. Plus, it’s pretty to look at, don’t you think?
Butternut Squash is one of my favorite vegetables. It’s sweet and creamy and delicious. Not to mention, it’s so incredibly versatile.
In this Quinoa Spinach Salad, the butternut squash brings yet another texture component with it’s slightly crisp edges and tender insides.
In addition to the butternut squash, you’ll find apples, red onion, and pistachios in this gluten free salad. They are all important players for providing the perfect flavor and texture.
You could use pears instead of the apples and pumpkin seeds or chopped pecans instead of the pistachios, but you’ll definitely want the juicy and crunchy components.
More hearty vegan salad recipes
- Chinese Tofu Salad
- Healthy Taco Salad
- Curry Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Lentils
- Black Eyed Peas Salad
- Chopped Kale Salad
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Quinoa Spinach Salad w/ Butternut Squash & Apple
For the Butternut Squash:
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch of cayenne (to taste..a little goes a long way)
For the Quinoa:
For the Dressing:
For the Salad:
- 16 oz baby fresh baby spinach
- 1 apple (chopped)
- ¼ cup pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss the cubed butternut squash, olive oil, cinnamon, salt and cayenne until well coated. Bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain the quinoa. Place it in a pot on the stove over medium-high heat with the vegetable broth, salt, parsley, oregano, and thyme. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and continue cooking for about 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender. Because this is a small amount of quinoa, keep a close eye on it to ensure the liquid doesn’t evaporate too quickly. Add a couple more tablespoons of broth or water if the mixture dries out and starts sticking to the pan. Do not overcook. Once the quinoa is tender, remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together in a small bowl. It will be quite tangy. If you like it more mellow, add another tablespoon or two of oil or water.
- To assemble the salad, mix the spinach, chopped apple, roasted butternut squash, quinoa, and pistachios. Drizzle a couple tablespoons of dressing and taste. Add more dressing if desired.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.