Spiced Chickpea Stew – chunky, saucy, flavorful, and full of healthy plant based protein, this stew couldn’t be easier to make and it’s so darn yummy! Naturally vegan and gluten free. Serve it with a side of rice for a complete meal. The perfect warming weeknight dish.
Proving yet again that healthy plant based food can be incredibly delicious!
This recipe has it all – texture, flavor, color. It’s comforting and filling. And it’s all done in less than 30 minutes!
Put Spiced Chickpea Stew on your menu this week – you won’t regret it!
Chickpeas for Dinner
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are an incredibly versatile ingredient.
But more often, we eat chickpeas for dinner. I tend to use canned chickpeas, mostly, because they are convenient. They are perfect in this Roasted Veggie and Brown Rice Bowl, this Falafel Burger, and this Slow Cooker Red Lentil Stew.
Chickpeas with rice is a natural combination. Together they make a complete protein. Both take on other flavors well so I like to add bold spices. I pair them up in my quick and easy Thai Green Curry Vegetables and now in this Spiced Chickpea Stew.
Most of these ingredients you probably have in your pantry and fridge already. You’ll be ready to make this easy chickpea stew in no time!
Chickpeas – folate, fiber, protein, iron, zinc and more
Tomatoes – vitamin C, vitamin K, biotin, potassium, vitamin A, B vitamins and more
Carrots – vitamin A, vitamin K, fiber, B vitamins, copper, folate, vitamin E and more
Turmeric – has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
Cumin – aids digestion, rich in iron and antioxidants
Chili Powder – anti-inflammatory, fights free radicals, clears congestion, boosts immunity
Quick and Easy – a 30 Minute Meal
This is seriously one of the easiest recipes on this blog. And one of the most delicious too!
It will take you less than 30 minutes start to finish. And if you have leftovers** – congratulations because it’s just as fantastic, if not more, the next day.
I like to use quick-cook rice to pair it with. Personally, I love the Quick-Cook Brown Basmati Rice from Trader Joe’s. It cooks up perfectly fluffy every time and only takes 10-12 minutes.
How to Make Spiced Chickpea Stew
- Chop onion and carrots
- Sauté veggies
- Add spices, chickpeas, broth and tomatoes
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
- Serve with rice
Spiced Chickpea Stew
I hope you love this Spiced Chickpea Stew as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating.
You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it.
Spiced Chickpea Stew
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetable broth (divided into ¼ cup + ½ cup)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 15 cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed) (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt (or to taste)
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 cup Quick-Cook Brown Basmati Rice (or rice of choice) (for serving)
- Sauté the diced onion in ¼ vegetable broth until translucent - about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the carrots, turmeric, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon. Stir and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ½ cup vegetable broth, chickpeas, diced tomatoes, and salt. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the chickpea stew is simmering - make your Quick-Cook Brown Basmati Rice* according to package directions.
- When chickpeas stew is done, take off heat and add a squeeze of fresh lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve the chickpea stew over rice.
More Easy Vegan Dinner Recipes to Love: