These easy Bell Pepper & Chickpea Tacos w/ Avocado Green Chile Sauce can be made in just 15 minutes. Using ingredients you likely already have in your pantry and just a few fresh items, you can be enjoying Taco Tuesday in no time!
These delicious and flavorful Bell Pepper & Chickpea Tacos came about on one of those “let’s-take-a-look-in-the-fridge-and-see-what’s-left” type of nights. I had opened quite a few cans of chickpeas in the previous days trying to perfect my Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes, but I only needed the brine (a.k.a aquafaba), so I just kept storing the chickpeas in the fridge. I made a batch of my Chickpea Salad, but I still had more chickpeas left. We always have peppers in the fridge. My son loves to take pepper strips in his lunchbox, so I slice several peppers at once so they are always ready to grab. There was part of a bunch of cilantro in the fridge that needed using up and one avocado left on the counter. If that doesn’t all just scream taco night, I don’t know what does. 🙂
The best part about these chickpea tacos is that they are so quick and easy. Perfect for any night of the week. We all have those nights where that last thing we want to do is make dinner. We either don’t have time or we don’t have the energy. But, we also know that take-out or frozen pizza is not the best way to go. These budget friendly tacos are just the answer. Just 15 minutes from start to finish! Which also makes them a perfect choice for a super fast lunch as well.
The sauce could not be easier. Throw it all in a blender and puree. Add a little water to thin it out if necessary.
Now, go make these yummy vegan tacos and revel in the fact that dinner is done!
As always, I love hearing from you, so leave me a comment and let me know how you liked them. Thanks, guys!
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (divided)
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained) (or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 3/4 cup diced bell peppers (any variety; I used red and yellow)
- salt/pepper to taste
- 6 tortillas of choice (gluten free if desired)
- 1 avocado
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 handful cilantro
- juice of 2-3 limes
- salt/pepper to taste
- use water to thin if needed
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable broth in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano and cook through about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and peppers and sauté 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of vegetable broth and saute another 4-5 minutes to heat through.
- Add salt/pepper to taste and adjust spices as necessary.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree.
- Place the pepper & chickpea mixture on a tortilla and top with the creamy avocado green chile sauce. Add any other topping as desired (lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, etc)
Nutrition facts calculated for tacos and sauce together.