Sugar Snap Pea Salad – A super crunchy, addictive salad that would fit in just as well at a casual picnic as it would at a dinner served to guests.
This time of year you can find so many delicious options at farmer’s markets and even your local grocery stores. When vegetables are at their peak, you don’t need to do much to make them irresistible. I love them raw – light and crisp, yet hearty. This Sugar Snap Pea Salad might not look like much, but trust me, you won’t be able to stop eating it.
Sugar Snap Peas
One of my favorite raw veggies is sugar snap peas. They are super crunchy and a little sweet. The perfect size for little hands – my kids love them as snacks. They contain lots of vitamins and minerals, in particular vitamin C, niacin, folate, vitamin K, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. They also contain protein, fiber, and antioxidants, but only 35 calories in about 1 cup.
Sugar Snap Pea Salad
Combined with crunchy red onion, refreshing cucumber, sweet green peas, a few herbs and a quick oil-free vinaigrette, sugar snap peas are taken to the next level. It might not turn any snap pea haters into snap pea lovers, but if you are already a fan, you are going to LOVE this salad! I seriously didn’t want to share it was so good!
Feed a Crowd
Just like the Southwest Pasta Salad I posted last week, this Sugar Snap Pea Salad would be perfect for your backyard BBQ’s or picnics this summer. It will easily double, or even triple, to feed a crowd. The veggies will stay perfectly crisp for several days after so you can enjoy leftovers all week.
Sugar Snap Pea Salad w/ Balsamic Vinaigrette
Sugar Snap Pea Salad
- 4 cups halved sugar snap peas
- ½ cup green peas (I used frozen and defrosted them)
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- ½ of a red onion (sliced thin)
- chopped fresh dill (to taste) (I used about 2 tbsp)
- chopped fresh mint (to taste) (I used about 4 leaves)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Add all the salad ingredients to a medium bowl and toss well.
- Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients in small bowl.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss well.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.