Vegan Apple Crisp – an American classic! Made with tart apples and a crunchy maple oat topping. Pair it with dairy-free vanilla ice cream for the ultimate fall treat!
Apple Crisp is a classic American dessert enjoyed all year long, but especially in the fall when apples can be picked straight from the orchard.
Tender tart apples pair perfectly with sweet crispy topping. It’s a fantastic texture and flavor contrast you won’t be able to resist.
The only thing better than traditional apple crisp is my Vegan Apple Crisp! Super easy to make. Oil and butter free. Gluten free too!
What is the Difference Between Apple Crisp and Apple Crumble?
Fruit crisp and fruit crumble are very similar. They are both baked fruit desserts. The difference is usually in the topping.
A crisp, as the name implies, has a crispy topping. It generally includes oats, nuts, sugar, butter, and warm spices like cinnamon.
A crumble has a topping usually made of flour, sugar, and butter.
A cobbler is yet another baked fruit dessert. It’s topping is traditionally made with drop biscuit dough or, sometimes, pieces of pie dough.
What are the Best Apples to Use for Apple Crisp?
Technically, you could make this vegan apple crisp with just about any type of apple, but different varieties will yield different results.
I prefer a firm tart apple for this dessert. Granny Smith are my favorite. I love the contrast of the tart apples with the sweet topping and they don’t get mushy when baked.
Honey Crisp apples seem to be all the rage these days. They are firm and crisp and will hold up well in baking, but they are bit too sweet for me. However, if you enjoy them raw, you would probably like them in apple crisp as well. You may need to decrease the amount of sugar in the filling.
If you can’t decide, you could use half tart apples and half a sweeter variety. Here is a handy chart detailing many varieties of apples and what they are best used for.
More Tasty Vegan Apple Dessert Recipes:
What Desserts can Vegans Eat?
Vegans can enjoy just as many desserts as omnivores. Nearly every dessert you can think of can be made dairy free, egg free, and vegan.
Delicious Vegan Desserts to Try:
- Vegan Carrot Cake with Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
- Dark Chocolate Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- Creamy Dairy Free Chocolate Ice Cream
- Vegan Vanilla Pudding
- Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Vegan Toffee Bars
- Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
- Vegan Lime Squares
Do you Eat Apple Crisp Hot or Cold?
Apple crisp is such a versatile dessert.
It’s great all year long and can be eaten hot, warm, room temperature, or cold.
I prefer it straight from the oven hot with a scoop of cool vanilla dairy free ice cream. Such a great contrast!
Vegan Apple Crisp
I hope you love this Vegan Apple Crisp as much as we do! If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating.
You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it.
Vegan Apple Crisp
For the Apple Filling
- 5 cups peeled and sliced tart apples (like Granny Smith)
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
For the Apple Filling
- Toss the peeled and sliced apples with lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread into one even layer in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
For the Crisp Maple Oat Topping
- Mix the oats, flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Drizzle the maple syrup into the mixture while stirring. Stir well until incorporated and the mixture is evenly moistened.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the topping is brown and crisp and the apples are fork tender.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then serve warm with dairy free ice cream.