Just want to let you know that this Vegan French Onion Dip is part of a Silk campaign with Meatless Monday. All views and opinions are my own and are not influenced in any way by WhiteWave or Silk.
Vegan French Onion Dip w/ Dill – the perfect thing to cure your munchies! Pair it with chips, crackers or raw vegetables. Made with whole food ingredients and two whole onions!
Get Your Snack On
These days my salty crunchy addiction is tortilla chips and salsa. There was a time, though, when my salty crunchy addiction was potato chips and french onion dip. The kind of french onion dip that came from the store, was heavily processed, contained mostly dairy, fat and chemicals and very little to no real onion.
Gosh, that stuff was good! But, as you probably already know and from my description right there, it’s loaded with junk. So, I decided to create my own version of french onion dip.
And then I added dill because dill dip was also one of my favorites. Two favorites in one, can’t go wrong! Voila, Vegan French Onion Dip with Dill. Perfect for game day or just to cure the munchies.
Two Whole Onions!
This vegan french onion dip uses cashews to make it creamy, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to make it tangy and 2 whole onions because, well, it’s ONION dip! You definitely won’t find that many onions in the store bought kind….if you even find any at all.
Sweet, Tangy, Creamy
It’s the perfect sweet, tangy, creamy dip to pair with crunchy, salty potato chips. But, I don’t suggest you eat potato chips all the time, so it would work perfect with raw veggies, pita chips or crackers as well. Or even as a spread on a sandwich or in a wrap!
You guys, I have a serious addiction to dips, sauces and spreads!
Vegan French Onion Dip w/ Dill
Silk’s campaign with Meatless Monday is encouraging people to “Sideline Meat” on “Meatless Monday Nights.” Since I am always encouraging people to “sideline meat”, it seemed like the perfect time to share this vegan french onion dip.
I hope you love this french onion dip recipe as much as we do! If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
Vegan French Onion Dip with Dill
- 2 large sweet onions (sliced thin or diced) (*see note)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews (soaked several hours) (**see note)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup Silk Organic Unsweetened Soymilk (divided) (¼ cup and ½ cup) (***see note)
- Heat the vegetable broth in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir to coat for a minute or two. Turn down the heat to med-low, add the onion powder, garlic powder, ½ tsp salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Let the onions cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a 1 tbsp or 2 of water (or more veggie broth) as necessary if the onions start to stick.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain your soaked cashews
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the cashews, vinegar, lemon juice, dill and salt. Process until it starts to come together. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add ¼ cup soy milk and process again until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. If you feel you need additional liquid add more soy milk 1 tbsp at a time. It should be the consistency of loose cream cheese when it's done.
- When the onions are done, turn off the heat and add the cashew mixture to the pan. Pour in the other ½ cup soy milk and stir until smooth and creamy. If you like a a dip a thinner consistency, add a little more soy milk.
- Let cool, then refrigerate until cold.
- Serve cold with chips, raw veggies or crackers.
You Might Also Like: