Baked Apple Cider Donuts – Soft, fluffy, moist baked donuts with all the flavors of fall. Dairy free, egg free, and oil free!! Trust me, you are going to love these!
It’s Fall Y’All
Ok, technically it’s not really. But the temps are slowly dropping. The humidity is starting to decrease. Football season is going strong. The apple orchards are open. And I’m ready.
Bring on all-the-apples and pumpkin-all-the-things. You’ll be seeing quite a few yummy treats here and I’m starting with these amazing Baked Apple Cider Donuts!
Fall is my Favorite
I look forward to fall every year. The beautiful colors. The crisp, cool air. I wish it lasted longer.
One of our favorite things to do in the fall is to visit the local apple orchards. We are lucky to have so many options in our area. Whether we pick our own apples or buy them pre-picked, we always come home with a peck.
And you know what else we always come home with? Apple Cider Donuts! They are always freshly made and still warm. The donuts are light and soft and, of course, coated in the signature cinnamon sugar mixture.
This year, I decided to try my hand at making a healthier apple cider donut. And, holy wow, did I succeed!
A Healthier Donut
I’m not trying to fool anyone – these Baked Apple Cider Donuts are not health food – they are sparkling with sugar after all. But, they are a healthier option than what you’ll find at your local apple orchard.
They are dairy free, egg free, soy free, and oil free! The batter is refined sugar free. And, the donuts are baked, not fried. Best of all, they have that light, melt-in-your-mouth texture that you expect from these fall sweet treats.
Tested Until Perfect
I think I lost count on how many different batches of these donuts I made. I was adamant about getting the perfect soft, moist texture. I had neighbors, friends and family all try them.
These Baked Apple Cider Donuts received two thumbs up from some of the pickiest eaters – even those that get a bit squeamish around healthy food. I promise you guys are going to love these!
Baked Apple Cider Donuts
I can not wait for you guys to try these amazing Baked Apple Cider Donuts. I love hearing from you, so please leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Let’s see those remakes! Be sure to tag me @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Happy baking!
- A few tbsp organic cane sugar mixed with 1/4-1tsp of cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 6 cavity donut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the apple cider, coconut milk, applesauce, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. The batter might seem a bit wet, but don't worry - this is going to keep the donuts soft and moist.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared donut pan. Fill each cavity just to the top, but don't overfill.
- Bake the donuts for 11-13 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the donuts are baking, mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and set aside.
- When the donuts are done, let them cool in the pan on a wire rack for just about a minute or two - until you can handle them without burning yourself. They should slide easily out of the pan. Immediately dip each one into the cinnamon sugar mixture while they are still quite warm and return to the wire rack to continue cooling.
- These delicious donuts are best served warm. Try not to eat them all in one sitting. I dare you. 🙂
These are really best eaten the day of. If you must keep leftovers, store them in an airtight container and warm in the microwave for about 10 seconds when ready to eat.