Buffalo Chickpea & Artichoke Baked Vegan Taquitos Recipe – a delicious, creamy, spicy snack for game day, parties, or anytime. Easy to make them as spicy (or not) as you want them. They make a great lunch or dinner too!
This spicy buffalo vegan taquitos recipe is meant to be an appetizer or snack, but let’s be honest, I could make a meal out of these! The filling is a creamy mixture of smashed chickpeas, chopped artichokes, and my now famous Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese sauce (a reader favorite!) all mixed with Buffalo style hot sauce.
Easy to make as spicy hot (or not) as you like. Judging from the popularity of my Buffalo Cauliflower Bites, I’d say you guys love buffalo sauce! Let’s get the (vegan) party started!!
What is a Taquito?
Taquitos, sometimes call rolled tacos or flautas, are small tortillas with filling that have been rolled and fried until crisp.
Traditionally, this Mexican dish uses corn tortillas, but I used flour tortillas here because I find they hold together better. You can use whatever you like best. Using corn tortillas would make these completely gluten free.
I have also chosen to bake my vegan taquitos recipe instead of fry them to cut down on the saturated fat.
While this is definitely not a traditional taquitos recipe, it is absolutely delicious!
Don’t miss these other Mexican-inspired vegan recipes:
- Meatless Mexican Sloppy Joe’s
- Smoky Cilantro Lime Mexican Bean Dip
- Mexican Spiced Chocolate Covered Cashews
- Black Bean and Zucchini Vegan Enchiladas
- Crunchy Black Bean Baked Mini Tacos
How to Make this Vegan Taquitos Recipe
These taquitos are super easy to make, especially if you use staple ingredients like canned chickpeas and frozen artichoke hearts. You can even buy pre chopped butternut squash for the “cheese” sauce.
- Mash the chickpeas in a bowl
- Mix in the artichokes, dairy free cheese sauce, and Buffalo hot sauce
- Scoop 2 tablespoons into tortilla and roll tightly.
Hint: Make a double batch of cheese sauce and then make Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese or Easy Cheesy Chili Mac another day! Both kid and omnivore approved!
What do you Eat with Taquitos
And if you’re feeling extra cheesy, try them with my Homemade Vegan Queso.
More Easy Vegan Party Food:
- Vegan Pesto Pizza Bites
- Veggie Tortilla Rollups
- Spiced Rosemary Roasted Nuts
- Easy Vegan Bruschetta with Avocado
- Cucumber Bites with Sun Dried Tomato Spread
Can Taquitos be Made Ahead and Frozen?
Yes, these can be assembled ahead do time and then frozen until ready to heat to serve. If baking from frozen, you will need to add additional cooking time. Otherwise, bring them to room temperature and bake as the recipe states.
Baked Buffalo Chickpea Artichoke Taquitos Recipe
I hope you love this Baked Vegan Taquitos Recipe as much as we do. If you try them, please leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating.
You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it.
For the Taquitos
- 2 can chickpeas, (rinsed and drained) (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts, (frozen or canned) (drained)
- 1 cup Butternut Mac sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup Buffalo style hot sauce, (I used Franks)
- 15-20 small tortillas, (corn or flour - your favorite) (Use corn if gluten free)
Dipping Sauce, optional
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or fork. Some larger pieces are ok, but you want the mixture to stick together.
- Add the chopped artichoke hearts, Butternut Mac sauce and buffalo style hot sauce and mix to combine.
- Scoop about 2 tbsp of the filling onto each tortilla and roll tightly. Place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until the tortillas are browning on the edges
- Let cool slightly. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
~1/4 cup hot sauce makes a nice mild heat, if you like things spicier feel free to add more.
~The Butternut Mac sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
~The Creamy Cumin Ranch, if using, can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
~The taquitos can be assembled and then frozen until ready to heat and serve. They may take a little longer to heat through.
~Nutrition info calculated using flour tortillas and does not include dipping sauce.
Serving Size:15 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Sodium: 548mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 2g Protein: 4g