This Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup is thick and hearty, full of flavor, yet ready in about 30 minutes. Perfect for a weeknight meal.
This soup was inspired by all the African Peanut Stews I have seen online over the years. I always think they look so hearty and delicious.
I have never actually made one of those, so I can’t say for certain if this vegan sweet potato soup recipe resembles them or not, but, what I can tell you, is that this soup is thick, rich, and delicious!
It’s full of deep earthy flavors, yet has a brightness from the tomato and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
It’s also quick and easy, like any good weeknight meal should be. I could eat this creamy, nutty Vegan Sweet Potato Soup all day long!
Sweet potatoes, which are carbohydrates, are very nutritious! Carbs tend to get a bad rap, but the fact is that our bodies need carbs for fuel.
These orange starchy root vegetables are high in fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants.
They also happen to be low on the glycemic index, so they won’t cause a spike in insulin and cause a “sugar rush.”
The fiber in sweet potatoes will help fill you up and keep you satiated longer.
It has been shown that including some healthy fat in a meal, like the almond butter in this vegan sweet potato soup, increases the absorption of beta-carotene (vitamin A), which is why this soup is the pretty much the perfect dish.
It’s definitely ok to eat the skins of sweet potatoes. There is a lot of fiber in the skins, so they’re very healthy.
However, we want this sweet potato soup recipe to be smooth, so I like to peel them first to ensure the perfect creamy texture.
Love sweet potatoes? Don’t miss these other delicious vegan sweet potato recipes:
- Falafel Spiced Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowl with Cashew Curry Sauce
- Sweet Potato Cauliflower Vegan Soup
- Coconut Curry Soup with Sweet Potato Noodles
There are many ways to make a soup creamy.
Cornstarch slurry, flour, cream, and coconut milk are all common ways to thicken a soup.
The almond butter in this vegan soup recipe definitely adds some body, but it’s the process of puréeing the soup that makes is silk smooth and creamy.
You can carefully transfer the hot soup to a blender to purée, but I find it much easier to use an Immersion Blender.
African Peanut Stews, which inspired this recipe, are made with peanut butter. I haven’t personally tried it in this recipe, but I imagine it would be just as yummy. Garnish with chopped peanuts instead of almond.
If you can’t have nuts, you could try using sunflower seed butter and garnish with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
Don’t sub the sweet potatoes. Just don’t.
This is a sweet potato soup recipe. If you don’t like sweet potatoes, try one of these other cozy vegan soup recipes:
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup w/ Corn
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Creamy Dairy Free Potato Soup
- Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- Easy Vegetarian Minestrone with Pasta
- Easy Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Vegan Split Pea Soup
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ¼ cup vegetable broth or water for an oil-free option
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cubed (about 2.5 to 3 cups)
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth plus more to thin if desired
- ⅓ cup raw creamy almond butter
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Slivered almonds for garnish
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion for 5 to 6 minutes until softened and translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, thyme, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and sauté 1 more minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Increase heat to bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat, add the almond butter and stir to combine. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup to your desired consistency. (I like it super smooth, but if you like it chunkier, go for it.
- If you like a thinner soup, add a bit more veggie stock or water and stir to combine.
- Garnish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and slivered almonds.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!