These Mocha Black Bean Brownie Hearts are fudgy and moist, packed with healthy plant protein and fiber, and super easy to make. They’re naturally gluten-free and no one will suspect they are made with beans!
Fudgy. Mocha. Brownies. Need I say more?
What Valentine’s Day would be complete without a little chocolate? And how about a little chocolate you can actually feel good about eating?
These super rich fudgy Mocha Black Bean Brownie Hearts are full of protein and fiber and are 100% FREE of dairy, gluten and refined sugar.
They are also kid approved.
I PROMISE you will NOT know there are black beans in here!
If you thought there was no such thing as a healthy brownie, now you know differently!
Black beans are high in folate, fiber, copper, manganese, vitamin B1, phosphorus, magnesium, protein and iron.
A dessert that’s good for you! And with the addition of espresso, they are practically a breakfast food. (That’s what I’m telling myself anyway.)
Even with all that nutrition from the black beans, let me assure you that you will not know they are in here.
These brownies are everything you would want them to be – chocolatey, fudgy, soft, rich, delicious! Perfect for your sweetie (or yourself) on Valentine’s Day.
Of course, if you don’t have heart cookie cutters or just don’t want to take the time to cut them out, these would be divine in bar form as well. And a little sprinkling of organic powdered sugar never hurt anyone, right?
Here’s a great tip for you: I LOVE using a Mesh Tea Ball Infuser for sprinkling powdered sugar. The sugar comes out slowly if you gently tap the side. Perfection.
I almost forgot to tell you the best part…the batter comes together completely in the bowl of a food processor. Super easy and super fast.
And don’t forget to taste the batter….because it’s egg free and you can…just like my Edible Brownie Batter Bites!
More vegan dessert bars
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Fudgy Mocha Black Bean Brownie Hearts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor blend black beans, vanilla, maple syrup, and applesauce until smooth. This might take several minutes to get the beans all ground up. Scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Add the espresso powder, cocoa powder, flax meal, baking powder and salt and process until combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Remove the blade and set aside. Add the chocolate chips to the batter and gently stir to incorporate.
- Pour batter into an 8×8 baking pan lined with parchment paper. (Overhang the parchment paper on both ends by a few inches. This is very important as the brownies will still be very soft when they come out of the oven and the parchment paper will allow you to take the whole square of brownies out of the pan with ease.)
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. The top should be set, but the center will still be soft. A toothpick will not (and should not) come out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully lift them out of the pan by holding onto the parchment paper overhang. They will probably still be soft and "bend" a little. This is ok, just be careful not to pull up on the sides too hard and break them.
- Let cool on a wire rack for another 20 to 30 minutes. The brownies should be firmer now, but still soft and fudgy. Carefully cut out into heart shapes or into bars.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.