Peanut Butter Banana Bread – this soft quick bread is so easy to make. It’s also healthier than your average dessert bread. My version is dairy free, egg free, oil free, and refined sugar free. It’s also so delicious, no one will know it’s healthy! Try it for yourself!
Peanut Butter. Chocolate. Bananas. Pretty much the perfect combo, right? If you agree, this quick bread is for you!! I had to take some to my hubby’s work yesterday to stop the kids and myself from eating the whole loaf in one sitting. Here’s the thing though, you don’t even have to feel guilty about enjoying a slice because this delicious Peanut Butter Banana Bread w/ Chocolate Chips is HEALTHY! It’s made with whole grain wheat flour, but it’s not dense at all. In fact, this is one of the softest, fluffiest breads I’ve ever made. No dairy, no eggs, no oil and no refined sugar, just good for you ingredients. And I promise you that no one will know it’s vegan!
Peanut Butter and Chocolate is the Perfect Match
I was originally going to put the chocolate chips in the batter, but I forgot until after I had already poured it into the pan. So, I just sprinkled some on top instead. Honestly, I think this worked out better. The peanut butter really comes through strong and if the chocolate chips were mixed in, I don’t think it would quite as much. And you can even leave the chocolate chips off all together if you prefer (but who would prefer that?!).
The Magic of Aquafaba
I generally use flaxmeal and water mixed together to make a vegan “egg”. But, I’ve been really intrigued lately by the aquafaba discovery. Have your heard of this? Aquafaba is chickpea brine (the liquid from a can of chickpeas). Plant based recipe creators everywhere have been using it to make sweet treats like meringue and mouse and macarons. While I haven’t tried my hand at those yet, I thought it might work perfectly to keep a quick bread moist, light and fluffy. I was right! It worked perfectly! I have never seen an egg free quick bread rise as well as this one did!
Refined Sugar Free
And, if you can believe this, there is only 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup in this entire recipe. No other sweeteners! It’s plenty sweet enough and you can really taste the peanut butter and the bananas. After all, they are the stars!
Peanut Butter Banana Bread
I hope you guys love this Peanut Butter Banana Bread as much as we do. Please give this recipe a try and then come back to leave me a comment below let me know how much you loved it! Don’t forget you can always find me on social media too! Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it! Enjoy!
- 1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup organic natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside. (I like to spray the pan with cooking spray first and then set the parchment paper in. The cooking spray helps the paper stick to the pan so it doesn't move around as you are pouring your batter in.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar until frothy. Whisk in the peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and aquafaba until well combined. Stir in the mashed banana.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix to combine well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, if using.
- Cook for 55-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Unmold the bread from the pan and continue cooling on the wire rack for another 10 minutes until slicing.