Healthy Bolognese, loaded with mushrooms and lentils, is hearty and rich. This meatless sauce is sure to please even the carnivores in your life.
Pasta is one of my go-to’s. The whole family loves it. The kids will always eat pasta, no matter what. I try to make pasta meals healthier by serving it up with thick, hearty sauces. That way I can serve them less noodles, but they are still full and satisfied. This Lentil Mushroom Healthy Bolognese is quite possibly the most often made recipe in my kitchen. I change up the kind of noodle I use quite a lot, but the rich “meaty” sauce is always the same. Done in just 40 minutes from start to finish, you could be calling it dinner tonight too!
I’m pretty sure you all know by know that my son is not a fan of mushrooms. In fact, he thinks they are pretty gross. I didn’t like them when I was a kid either, so I’m still holding out hope that he’ll come around one day. Maybe you’re thinking that when I make this dish, he doesn’t eat it, or that I make him something else (<- that NEVER happens by the way). Here’s the reality – he has NO idea there are mushrooms in here! 🙂 In fact, he usually asks for seconds. I chop the mushrooms into a small dice about the size of the lentils. They are the same color and they kind of just blend in. They provide a nice “meaty” texture, but with the other flavors here, you really can’t taste them.
This healthy bolognese sauce cooks up in just 30 minutes. I use robust red wine, vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar and a little tamari to create great depth of flavor in very little time. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal or a fancy dinner for entertaining.
High in protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants – you’ll want this dish on your menu every week. The sauce is great over baked potatoes, polenta, rice, zoodles (zucchini noodles), and of course, pasta noodles. It also freezes really well, so it’s easy to make a huge double or triple batch and have it ready for whenever the mood strikes.
Don’t you want to just take a big bite of that! Mmmmm, it’s so good!!
Lentil Mushroom Healthy Bolognese
I can’t wait for you guys to make this Lentil Mushroom Healthy Bolognese! Please come back and leave me a comment letting me know how much your family loved it!
- 1/2 sweet onion (diced)
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms (diced)
- 1/4 cup robust red wine (your favorite) (I used a cabernet)
- 28 oz can organic crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth (divided)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked lentils (brown or green)
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms and saute 7-8 minutes until soft and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the red wine and saute until no liquid is left, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, remaining vegetable broth (1/2 cup), balsamic vinegar, tamari and dried herbs. Sprinkle salt/pepper all over the top of the sauce and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils and stir to combine. Cook another 2-3 minutes to heat through.
- Serve warm over your favorite pasta.
More Hearty Pasta Recipes to Try: