Healthy Bolognese, loaded with mushrooms and lentils, is hearty and rich. This meatless sauce is sure to please even the carnivores in your life.
Pasta is one of my go-to’s. The whole family loves it. The kids will always eat pasta, no matter what.
I try to make pasta meals healthier by serving it up with thick, hearty sauces. That way I can serve them less noodles, but they are still full and satisfied.
This Lentil Mushroom Healthy Bolognese is quite possibly the most often made recipe in my kitchen.
I change up the kind of noodle I use quite a lot, but the rich “meaty” sauce is always the same.
Done in just 40 minutes from start to finish, you could be calling it dinner tonight too!
I’m pretty sure you all know by know that my son is not a fan of mushrooms.
In fact, he thinks they are pretty gross. I didn’t like them when I was a kid either, so I’m still holding out hope that he’ll come around one day.
Maybe you’re thinking that when I make this dish, he doesn’t eat it, or that I make him something else (<- that NEVER happens by the way).
Here’s the reality – he has NO idea there are mushrooms in here!
In fact, he usually asks for seconds. I chop the mushrooms into a small dice about the size of the lentils. They are the same color and they kind of just blend in.
They provide a nice “meaty” texture, but with the other flavors here, you really can’t taste them.
This healthy bolognese sauce cooks up in just 30 minutes.
I use robust red wine, vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar and a little tamari to create great depth of flavor in very little time.
Perfect for an easy weeknight meal or a fancy dinner for entertaining.
High in protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants – you’ll want this dish on your menu every week.
The sauce is great over baked potatoes, polenta, rice, zoodles (zucchini noodles), and of course, pasta noodles.
It also freezes really well, so it’s easy to make a huge double or triple batch and have it ready for whenever the mood strikes.
More vegan pasta recipes
- Vegan Stuffed Shells
- Smoky Black Eyed Peas Pasta
- Cheesy Chili Mac
- Creamy Vegan Mushroom Pasta
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Vegan Mac and Cheese
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Lentil Mushroom Healthy Bolognese
- ½ sweet onion diced
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms diced
- ¼ cup robust red wine your favorite (I used a cabernet)
- 28 ounces can organic crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup low sodium vegetable broth divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked lentils brown or green
- Heat ¼ cup vegetable over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté 7 to 8 minutes until soft and cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the red wine and sauté until no liquid is left, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, remaining vegetable broth (½ cup), balsamic vinegar, tamari and dried herbs. Sprinkle salt/pepper all over the top of the sauce and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils and stir to combine. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.
- Serve warm over your favorite pasta.