Veggie Lo Mein – A quick and easily customizable stir fry. Ready in less than 30 minutes, this dish makes a great weeknight meal.
This easy Veggie Lo Mein is intended to bring good luck in the form of a long life if eaten on the first day of the New Year. In Asian countries it is tradition to eat long noodles, which signify longevity, on New Year’s Day. You have to try to keep the noodles long, only breaking them once they are in your mouth. I make no guarantees of course, but why not stack the deck in your favor. Give these delicious lo mein noodles a try!
Use the Veggies You Love
This recipe is really quick and easily customizable to your tastes. I’ve used the veggies my family likes best – broccoli, bell peppers, and carrots. Feel free to use the vegetables your family enjoys most. Zucchini, celery, green beans, pea pods or snap peas, even edamame would all be great choices.
Eat Greens for Wealth
Greens are used to symbolize wealth in the coming year. Generally, the greens used are kale or collard greens, but really any green will do. Here, I am using bok choy in the stir fry and keeping my fingers crossed for a financial windfall. 🙂
Be sure to check out more recipes that are perfect for the New Year at the end of this post.
Eat Healthy, Be Healthy
This recipe is so healthy, you don’t even really need to worry about the superstition of a long life symbolized by these long noodles. You are what you eat, so eat healthy!
Veggie Lo Mein
I hope you love this Veggie Lo Mein as much as we do. If you try it, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback and star rating. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
A quick and easily customizable, oil free, stir fry.
- 6 oz Lo Mein noodles
- 1 red bell pepper (julienned)
- 2 carrots (peeled and julienned)
- 2 heads of baby bok choy (rinsed well and chopped into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 small head of broccoli (chopped into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 cup pea shoots
- 1/4 cup cashews (chopped)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger root
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- Whisk together all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, sauté broccoli, red bell pepper, garlic and ginger for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, bok choy and cashews and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Take off heat and add the sauce, pea shoots and noodles. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately garnished with more pea shoots and chopped cashews.
More Delicious Recipes to Enjoy for the New Year: