These Sloppy Lentils Sandwiches will take you back to your childhood…the healthy way!
It’s a common misconception that a plant based diet lacks comfort food – the kind of meals that transport you back to your childhood and make you feel like everything is easy and fun. I’m happy to report that it’s just not true. We eat plenty of comforting, hearty meals that even an omnivore would love. These Sloppy Lentils Sandwiches, evoking feelings of nostalgia, will nourish your belly and your soul. Bonus: they cook in about 30 minutes which makes them the perfect quick weeknight meal.
Through the years I have found that the simplest meals are the ones my family loves the most. Let’s face it, kids are finicky. Their favorite food one day is the food they can’t stand the next. Somehow, simmering pretty much anything in a smoky, sweet, tangy sauce will make it ultra appealing. The kids gobble up these Sloppy Lentils Sandwiches and ask for seconds.
The fact that they are a little messy makes them even more fun. Fun for the kids, anyway. But you can rest easy knowing the extra washcloths needed to scrub those saucy little faces and hands are worth it because your kids just noshed on 4 different vegetables without even realizing it. Score!
These sloppy sandwiches will even impress the omnivores in your life. My hubby, who doesn’t much care of lentils, loves them!
Speaking of lentils, I use my Instant Pot to cook them and it takes just 15 minutes. I like them to still have a little bite to them in this recipe. Lentils can turn to mush quickly, so if you are cooking them on the stove top, keep an eye on them and check for doneness early. You can also use packaged pre-cooked lentils if you have those.
You can serve these up with your favorite sides: fresh or roasted veggies, corn on the cob, french fries, baked potato, baked beans, etc. My kids actually love fresh steamed broccoli. I am lucky, I know! And you MUST serve these with pickles either on the sandwich or on the side, but trust me, they need pickles.
Sloppy Lentils Sandwiches
I hope you love these Sloppy Lentils as much as we do. If you try them, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can also find me on social media. Be sure to tag @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1/4 of a red onion (diced)
- 2 small carrots (diced small or shredded)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce (Annie's is vegan) (or use 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp molasses)
- 1-2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt/pepper to taste
- 6 buns
- tomatoes, pickles, avocado, sliced onion, etc.
Sauté the onion, garlic, green pepper, and carrots in 3 tbsp water over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until soft (adding more water as necessary so the veggies don't stick).
- Add the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, vegan worcestershire sauce (or balsamic and molasses), liquid smoke, mustard and oregano. Bring to a low boil, decrease heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste and add salt/pepper (or more worcestershire sauce or liquid smoke) if necessary.
- Add in the cooked lentils and stir until evenly coated. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns with your favorite toppings.
~Nutrition facts calculated without buns.