This Healthy Taco Salad is quick and easy, loaded with plant based protein, and full of flavor and texture! The perfect summer weeknight meal. Drizzle it with my creamy southwest-flavored vegan ranch dressing for an extra flavor boost.
Summer evenings call for quick dinners that can be on the table with minimal effort. I think we all crave lighter fare and fresh ingredients when the temperatures rise, but that doesn’t mean we want the flavor to be lacking.
This Healthy Taco Salad is fast and easy, light and fresh, and bold and flavorful. It has lots of great texture to make your mouth happy.
Oh, and did I mention it’s also oil free, gluten free and, of course, vegan?!
I love crisp romaine or green leaf lettuce as a base for this dish.
Red bell pepper, corn, and avocado bring a plentitude of vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, and antioxidants.
Black beans provide protein, fiber, and satiety.
I topped this healthy vegan taco salad recipe with crunchy roasted chickpeas instead of the usual tortilla strips. I loaded them up with flavor and crunch, but you won’t need any oil, making this taco salad a healthy and plant protein packed option.
Substitutions and adaptations
Extra veggies ~ Add in some onions, if you like, or diced jicama. Raw chopped zucchini is always great in Mexican-inspired dishes. An extra squeeze of lime over the whole thing would be delicious, too! And feel free to leave out any ingredient you don’t love.
Add some heat ~ The spice mixture isn’t spicy hot, so it’s perfect for kids, too. If you’d like to add more heat, try adding ½ teaspoon of chipotle powder to the black beans, add a chopped jalapeño, or simply drizzle your salad with a little hot salsa.
Dressing ~ The vegan ranch dressing can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge so it’s ready when you are. Feel free to use your favorite store-bought dressing in a pinch.
Toppings ~ Crushed tortilla chips, green onions, guacamole, salsa, shredded dairy-free cheese, or quick pickled red onions would all be great additional toppings.
Feeding a crowd? This recipe could easily be doubled or tripled.
How to make the recipe
Please scroll down to the recipe card for exact ingredient measurements and instructions.
This vegetarian dinner salad couldn’t be easier to make.
- Roast chickpeas
- Sauté black beans w/ spices
- Layer lettuce and veggies on a plate
- Top with the black beans, dressing, and roasted chickpeas
How to serve
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you tried it, please use the rating system in the recipe card and leave a comment below with your feedback.
Be sure to sign up for my FREE Newsletter to be the first to get my NEW recipes! You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
For even more easy family recipes, be sure to check out my cookbook, The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook!
Healthy Taco Salad
Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 head green leaf or romaine lettuce chopped
- 1-2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels or frozen, thawed
- 1 batch Southwest Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss chickpeas with the chili powder, cumin, salt and cinnamon.
- Place chickpeas on a baking sheet in one even layer and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, shaking them around ½ way through. Chickpeas should be slightly crunchy…they will continue to crisp up as they cool. Set aside.
- Toss the black beans with all the spices and warm in a pan over medium heat with ¼ cup water. Stir occasionally until warmed through, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, toss the lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, avocado and corn in a large bowl. Plate the lettuce mixture on each individual plate or bowl. Add the black beans to the individual servings and top with the crunchy roasted chickpeas. Drizzle with the Southwest Vegan Ranch Dressing.
Nutrition values are calculated using online calculators and are estimates only. Please verify using your own data.