Oil-Free Coconut Chia Granola – coconuty, crunchy, sweet, salty, easy, healthy. The perfect breakfast or snack! Especially good paired up with dairy-free yogurt and fresh fruit.
Do you crave salty snacks? What about sweet? Well, if you like crunchy, I’ve got a treat for you that covers both. This Oil-Free Coconut Chia Granola is a super easy, salty sweet, crunchy snack, that would also make the perfect breakfast. Here, I layered it up with dairy-free strawberry yogurt and fresh cut strawberries. I’ve been eating it for breakfast AND snacks for a week…it’s so good!
Chia seeds are considered a superfood and they seem to be a pretty trendy ingredient right now, but I think they are here to stay (or at least they should). Chia seeds are a complete protein, contain lots of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, minerals (great source of calcium!), and vitamins. Basically, you need to add these little gems to your diet.
I have been buying coconut chia granola in packaged form from the grocery store for quite awhile. The one I buy is fairly clean as far as packaged goods go, but it does contain oil (as almost packaged granolas do) and too much sugar.
It finally dawned on me a few weeks ago, that I could easily make this delicious chia granola at home. Why I have not thought of this earlier is a mystery since I make plenty of homemade granola (Chocolate Chai Spice Granola, Blueberry Almond Homemade Granola) and granola bars (Tahini Dark Chocolate Vegan Granola Bars, Peanut Butter Granola Squares). And not only could I do it cheaper, but I could do it healthier! My version of Coconut Chia Granola is completely oil-free, gluten free and vegan. And, although it does contain sweeteners, there is only ½ cup in almost 5 cups of granola.
Of course, you don’t have to layer it with yogurt…it’s just as good with a splash of milk (I prefer rice milk with cereal or granola, but whatever you like would obviously work)…or even eaten straight out of the container. I am going to bet this chia granola would be awesome mixed with some mini chocolate chips too, but I have yet to try that.
If you want to get some crunchy clusters of granola, try not to mix the granola as it cooks and then treat it very gently until it cools completely. This Oil-Free Coconut Chia Granola will last up to a week in an air-tight container in your pantry.
Oil-Free Coconut Chia Granola
Ok, now it’s your turn to make this salty sweet treat. Get your crunch on! And then come back and let me know how you liked it! Leave me a comment here or find me on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram (show me the pic of your remake!) – tag me @veggie_inspired and #veggieinspired so I don’t miss it!
Oil-Free Coconut Chia Granola
- 2 ½ cup certified gluten free rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups crisp brown rice cereal
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut (or coconut flakes)
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut butter (sometimes called coconut manna...NOT oil!)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ - ¾ tsp sea salt (depending on your love of salty)
- 2-3 tbsp water to thin (if necessary)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, crispy brown rice cereal, shredded coconut and chia seeds. Set aside.
- In a small pot over medium-low heat on the stove, combine the brown rice syrup, coconut sugar, coconut butter, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir until melted and smooth. Add a couple tablespoons of water, if necessary, to thin. You want it to be pouring consistency, but still fairly thick.
- Pour the sugar mixture over the oats mixture and stir to combine well. Make sure everything is thoroughly coated.
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes until brown and crispy. It will continue to get crispier as it cools.
- Let cool on on the baking sheet on a wire rack until completely cool. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the pantry.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes to Love: